TTL News

Elmira Police Department Reveals New Flag

According to Elmira Police Chief Anthony Alvernaz, the Elmira Police Department has adopted a departmental flag.

Chief Alvernaz says this new standard will represent the Elmira Police Department and the pride and honor the department has serving the people the city. The design was presented during a March 26th City Council workshop and approved through resolution number 2022-108 at the regular March 28, 2022 City Council Meeting.

April 1, 2022 marks the 146th anniversary of the founding of the Elmira Police Department. The department chose to unveil its first flag on this date as to prepare for the banner’s first official duties on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, 2022; where it will be raised at the Fallen Officer’s Memorial in Wisner Park and carried along the parade route by the department's Honor Guard during the annual Memorial Day Parade.

The flag is modeled after the United States and New York City Police Department’s flags, according to Chief Alvernaz. The six white
and brilliant green stripes represent the Elmira City Council Districts. The color green has long been associated with police. It celebrates the history of New York law enforcement and can be traced back to 1658, when the New Amsterdam Night Watchmen, New York City’s first form of police, carried lanterns of green glass while on patrol and would hang them outside the watchman’s stations to signify
that a watchman was on duty.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.24.49 AM.png

"The white is emblematic of peace and the moral, ethical and spiritual purity each officer strives to foster," Alvernaz wrote in a media release. "The middle stripe mirrors police mourning bands that are typically worn over badges following a line of duty death. This stripe serves to honor those who have given the fullest measure of their devotion while representing the brave men and women who presently stand in the gap, holding the line between good and evil; order and chaos."

The field of deep blue represents the uniform worn by the officers of the Elmira Police Department.

The Elmira’s City Seal is a replica of the original 1907 design and is slightly different from the current official seal which was updated in 1944. The City Seal is set in Elmira’s official gold color and includes the year the Elmira Police Department was established, 1876. The three stars that join the two years together represent the three settlements that were eventually incorporated into the City of Elmira in
1864; Newtown, Wisnerburg and DeWittsburg.

Chief Alvernaz says the Elmira Police Department Standard shall serve as a visible reminder that the department will always be here,
protecting our neighborhoods, and doing everything possible to keep our community safe. He added that is something that will never change and remains the foundation of pride upon which the flag will be

The cars look like shit and now the flag matches. 

uniforms next! 

I like both the cars and the flag.  Can do without the yellow fringe but other than that, I like it.

I yearn for the cars of my child hood. 

Are they still doing the baseball cards? those things were awesome. 

5151907367_9fe5d0d016_b.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Can do without the yellow fringe but other than that, I like it.

Yeah....The gold fringe on the green looks a little like an old I Dream of Jeanie set....

image.png.e98f57f9d8435278bb5fad6bc0a0ad1c.png

• Haha 1