Sign in to follow this  
command_prompt

macOS vs Windows

macOS vs Windows... and more  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What OS are you running on your primary computer?

• macOS / OS X
    • Windows
    • Linux
    • It's complicated

I was once told “Once you go Mac, you never go back.” And that’s the Gospel truth.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chris said:

I was once told “Once you go Mac, you never go back.” And that’s the Gospel truth.

Yes, sir!

Someone we both know gave me his old Mac Pro, in 2012 I think, and it was a point of no return. I still like Windows - not all of their releases, mind you - but my primary systems are all (hand-me-down) Apple. 

There's no way I could afford a new Mac.

8 minutes ago, command_prompt said:

Someone we both know gave me his old Mac Pro, in 2012 I think, and it was a point of no return.

LMAO! He converted us both, as I was also given a Mac Pro in 2014. The damned thing was a beast!

When that STB, I went with the Mac mini, which is more than enough computer for what I do. Eventually that one started showing its age so a couple years ago I bought a newer one but kept the old one which @Andy turned into a Plex server and means for me to play “Empire Earth” on. Not that I have time to, but it’s there.

The Mac Mini is a pretty affordable little computer, especially compared to the other Macs.  I think I paid $700 for each (?)

I like using Macs, but I’ve been Windows for my main things, both my laptop and my own Plex server. Dabbled in Linux but not for long. Really don’t want to upgrade to Windows 11 when 10 is EOL, so I’ll probably take a look at Linux again, since it’s more gaming-friendly now

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

I like using Macs, but I’ve been Windows for my main things, both my laptop and my own Plex server. Dabbled in Linux but not for long. Really don’t want to upgrade to Windows 11 when 10 is EOL, so I’ll probably take a look at Linux again, since it’s more gaming-friendly now

11 is not as horrible as I was worried it might be. I picked up an older Dell Precision workstation one of the labs decided to throw out (32GB, not bad, cannot recall the CPU speed, regular SATA SSD) and the thing just flies. OneDrive insisted on reinstalling itself. Plenty of stuff that can be disabled at the startup. Once all that is done, it's smooth sailing. 

Just now, command_prompt said:

11 is not as horrible as I was worried it might be. I picked up an older Dell Precision workstation one of the labs decided to throw out (32GB, not bad, cannot recall the CPU speed, regular SATA SSD) and the thing just flies. OneDrive insisted on reinstalling itself. Plenty of stuff that can be disabled at the startup. Once all that is done, it's smooth sailing. 

Yeah, I’ve used 11 briefly, and it wasn’t terrible. I’m just really tired of ads being shoved in the OS (anyone who knows me knows how much I HATE ads lol), and even after various tinkering with 10, methods to suppress tracking and general bloat have started to become more cumbersome or not work entirely - like internet search results when I’m trying to search local files on the computer; I found a fantastic third party app for that, but I shouldn’t have to in the first place!

After hearing about this Windows 11 Recall feature, I’m going to try to transition to Linux again when 10 loses support, partially for curiosity and interest, and partially because I’m just tired of Microsoft. Not that I would be affected by Recall and all that junk, it’s just another example of the direction Microsoft is going. I’d go with MacOS if it wasn’t really expensive to get a Mac and useless for playing games. I have a spare laptop I can use for Linux practice if I want!

• Like 1

Anyway, it'd be fawesome if we got some entries in our first poll. Come on, people! You can do it! 🙂

7 minutes ago, command_prompt said:

Anyway, it'd be fawesome if we got some entries in our first poll. Come on, people! You can do it! 🙂

Since I retired my computer is my IPad for mail, FB, messenger and Pinterest.  My e reader is a Kindle with the Barnes and Noble app side loaded.  I rarely use Hubby’s laptop except for one NYS site.    I am not a fan of electronics, it’s an aggravation I can control 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Since I retired my computer is my IPad for mail, FB, messenger and Pinterest.  My e reader is a Kindle with the Barnes and Noble app side loaded.  I rarely use Hubby’s laptop except for one NYS site.    I am not a fan of electronics, it’s an aggravation I can control 😂

Hubby’s Lap top is running Windows 10 until it isn’t supported any longer . Laptop is a Dell  Inspiron 15 3000 which has more speed than I will ever need , got it mainly for dabbling in recording music . 

• Like 2

I WFH and they provide Windows and my laptop is a dual boot with Windows and Linux (Ubuntu). I do have Linux on a bootable flash drive if anyone wants to try it out. 

Linux has a steep learning curve, but not as bad as it used to be. Most anything run on Windows or Apple have a Linux equivalent or has a emulator to allow you to run it. It also works good on old laptops that can no longer run newer systems. 

I work in IT and have to use Windows for work but at home I've been using strictly Linux for a good 13 or 14 years now.  I have a laptop that runs Ubuntu, another laptop that runs Arch Linux (my main laptop) a desktop with Ubuntu, a media server running Gentoo, and my webserver is offsite running Debian.  I also have an old netbook that I'm running Gentoo on as well, and then I have numerous Raspberry Pis running either Raspian, Kodi, or RetroPie.

I have zero desire to run Windows personally anymore, ever again.  The Linux ecosystem makes me enjoy using computers again.  I like to tinker, I like the level of customization, and I love that I can literally change everything out if i so desire.  I live the power of the Linux command line, Windows has improved since they brought out Powershell, but it's still lacking.   I have used Macs before, they're fine, but I've never owned one personally.

• Like 2

Another great thing about Linux is you can take an older laptop that is past its prime with Windows ultra bloated software and wipe the hard, drive, install pretty much any Linux system and it's like new again.

I also use Ubuntu when using Linux.

Those that tried Linux 10+ years ago and left because it's so complicated should give it a go again.