Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

"Obi-Wan Kenobi" Thread

The Obi-Wan Kenobi series is arguably the most anticipated Star Wars project since The Force Awakens, and may claim that title for a very long time. After 17 years, Ewan McGregor will once again don the robes of the iconic Jedi Master, embarking on a journey during his exile following Revenge of the Sith. Fans spent years pushing for a new story about the crazy old hermit, and the time has nearly come for that dream to become a reality.

Joining McGregor will be Hayden Christensen, who will reprise his role of Darth Vader. Plot details have been scarce, but official concept art depicts a duel between the former teacher and student that Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy has described as "the rematch of the century". Also in the mix will be the Inquisitors, whose defeat at the hands of Kenobi will presumably encourage Vader to confront his old master and seek out revenge.

In a now-deleted tweet, Disney+ Enterprise/Global Program Manager Brandon SanGiovanni accidentally revealed that Obi-Wan Kenobi will hit the streaming platform in May 2022.

Read the rest here.

There’s also an Ob-Wan comic being released in May, but I’m choosing to believe that it’s the show

20 hours ago, Andy said:

There’s also an Ob-Wan comic being released in May, but I’m choosing to believe that it’s the show

There is a comic coming as well looks like it may cover the original trilogy and some of Obi Wan's past

That's why I'm thinking the series will drop then. They wouldn't release a comic adaptation before the series. Unless of course it covers different ground. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

That's why I'm thinking the series will drop then. They wouldn't release a comic adaptation before the series. Unless of course it covers different ground. 

Ill be adding it to my pull list looks pretty good and the Star Wars comics have yet to disappoint 

That looks amazing. And seeing even a glimpse into Luke’s life as a child…awesome.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:50 PM, Chris said:

That looks amazing. And seeing even a glimpse into Luke’s life as a child…awesome.

I had chills watching it. Like you said great time to be a Star Wars fan

And as promised:

Was that 4-LOM I saw taking a shot at someone?

And, "Like you trained his father?" Oof... You could summon all the Force powers there are and not deliver a kick in the nuts like that. 

• Like 1

I think that was 4-LOM

Grand Inquisitor looks better I think compared to the first time we saw him, and seeing Vader being built is badass. Cannot wait 

Just changed the thread title to have one place for chat about this. 

As I press play on the new trailer for the series, it could be me in hologram form: "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." 

And from a weird, meta perspective it could be Disney itself. Following a mixed big-budget trilogy and largely unsuccessful spinoff movies, chased by mediocre shows like The Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi feels like a huge gamble for Disney. A do-or-die moment for a series languishing in the doldrums. A last hope.

Page-turners, they were not

Make no mistake: Star Wars, for the last decade at least, has sorta sucked. During that period Star Wars has taken me on a wild journey that began with anger, then acceptance, but that ultimately ended in complete indifference. 

I simply don't care about Star Wars any more, and I don't think I'm alone. I'm not invested in its universe, its characters or its success. Star Wars -- that legendary tale that takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away -- has lost its mystique.

It stings harder because Disney initially got it right. After a well-made (albeit safe) homage movie in The Force Awakens, Star Wars broke the mold with The Last Jedi; a movie that challenged not only assumptions about Jedi lore and other hokey-pokey bullshit, but notions of nostalgia and fandom itself. In short, it absolutely ruled.

In perhaps the best Star Wars scene ever put on film, Yoda stands in front of a blazing fire he himself started. "The sacred texts," screams Luke, in agony. 

"Page-turners, they were not," replies Yoda. 

This was a movie that told us to "let the past die, kill it if you have to." It was everything the Star Wars series needed, and it was amazing.

Read more here.

What do you think? Is this the last chance for Disney to "get it right" or is Star Wars doing just fine in your opinion?

I think it's a stretch to say Star Wars is "languishing". People like to reminisce on the EU (former canon before Disney), but that had even crazier and more bizarre things that were getting out of control. For example, there was an evil clone of Luke Skywalker named "Luuke", Chewbacca being crushed by a moon saving Han and Leia's son Anakin who dies later on, driving their other son Jacen to the dark side, only to be killed by his twin sister Jaina. Even better, Palpatine being cloned, a plot point about Rise of Skywalker many hate, happened numerous times in the EU.

Say what you will about Disney's handling on Star Wars, but the continuity is concise and flows much better than the EU, which felt like wild fan fiction that you'd read on a 15 year old's blog.

Following a mixed big-budget trilogy and largely unsuccessful spinoff movies, chased by mediocre shows like The Book of Boba Fett

Yeah, the sequels are controversial, no doubt about that, but even if you hate every single one, they all had fantastic moments. Rogue One I see is regarded as the best Disney-Star Wars movie, and Solo, despite its issues during production, is a fun movie. The show argument made is a bit weaker to me, especially since there's more cming after Kenobi, as Mandalorian is wildly successful, maybe even more so than the sequels. In addition, The Clone Wars Season 7 was HUGE for fans who grew up on it (like me) and Bad Batch was also a nice little treat, even if it focused too much on world building at the cost of storytelling. Book of Boba Fett gets too much hate, as people wanted the vengeful, murderous Boba Fett from the EU (yep, he came back then too), rather than the one we got who gets more of a "human" characteristic. 

Obi-Wan will be wildly successful just because its been wanted by people for YEARS, Obi-Wan is one of the most popular Jedi in all of Star Wars, I can't see a show focusing on him doing too badly.

Plus I'm a sucker for seeing how things changed post-Revenge of the Sith and pre-A New Hope

Edited by Andy

I probably should have made this a separate topic, but the connection to the upcoming series seemed appropriate.

I think the biggest issue is these "fans" who had an idea in their head of how something should be and when it's not, they piss all over it like a drunk tomcat. Since the author mentions "Book Of Boba Fett" ( BOBF ) I'll use that as an example. 

Boba Fett had what, maybe five minutes in the original trilogy? And like three lines. But everyone knew he was a badass, and he was. And over 30+ years there was this mystique built up around him by the fans as a cold-blooded killer. And at the time of the original trilogy, he would have been in his twenties. In other words, in his prime. Flash forward to BOBF and the character is now in his 40's, and as a bounty hunter it's safe to assume he's had a rough life before ending up in the Sarlacc Pit. So he's perhaps starting to feel the physical effects and is slowing down. And perhaps he's tired of having to fight his way out of every situation, although he can obviously still kick ass, even if taking some lumps along the way.

My point is, maybe it's not the franchise and Disney that are wrong, maybe it's the rabid fanboys. 

And, this writer, along with all other so called "fans" like him that hold their breath and threaten to give up on Star Wars, suck. Be gone with you and good riddance. I'm just happy to have so much of a story I love available in ways I never dreamed as a kid. 

• Like 2

Man, this is off to an AMAZING start. Talk about something out of left field!

Too bad there's only 4 more episodes. 

Total spoiler here:

Spoiler

Mmphh... Right in the feels:

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.32.06 AM.png

I was just thinking, how much longer shall we worry about revealing spoilers? A lot of the stuff I follow has a "1 week rule", which I think is reasonable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I was just thinking, how much longer shall we worry about revealing spoilers? A lot of the stuff I follow has a "1 week rule", which I think is reasonable. 

Spoilers don’t bother me.

It’s amazing. I hope the rumors of a second season are true.

Last week was pretty intense, and seeing Vader in his "earlier" and perhaps most vicious years is amazing. Can't wait to see what this week brings.

Guess being “ Grand Inquisitor “ isn’t all its cracked up to be ! I mean really if your going after Vader for actions in his past how do you hide that from the guy that can mess you up with the wave of his hand ?