Sign in to follow this  
TwinTiersLiving

Gardening 2022

We have pollinators in residence:

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.05.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.05.38 PM.png

• Like 3

I got everything in the ground, with the exception of one section of raised bed, which will be reserved for more corn. But I want to stagger the plantings out a couple weeks apart so we get fresh corn over the course of a few weeks. 

We planted 12 pepper plants, six of them purple peppers, and sex of them yellow. Also put in pumpkins, zucchini, and some cukes for making pickles I think. And of course a whole lot of Yukon Gold spuds. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have hilled the taters twice and they are too big now to do it again so now it just side dressing them . I’m thinking thats a job better left for the cooler day ! 
The raised beds are doing great , maters have blossomed and will need pinching off shortly Kale … yes Kale is looking awesome , beets , Snow peas and my one Eggplant all going . In the Winter squash patch ( hail Mary pass here ) Butternut are sending runners out and the one Italian plant going gangbusters . Now i need to explain the Hail Mary pass comment . The squash are planted directly under a patch of Black Walnut trees , which everyone say’s  “ nuthin will grow there “ as the nuts dropping makes the soil toxic . Of course me having to fly in the face of the “ experts “ I test the soils and visually can see all the good stuff in what I till up , so in the plants went LOL . Guess I really didn’t need that two year course in Horticulture! 

Edited by Hal
  • Like 1

I stirred the compost bins today and whew baby was it steaming hot!

Our harden is officially in. No beans this year, but a lot of corn, some cukes for pickles and a bunch of sunflowers because, why not?

Im also working on my skills at trimming basil plants to keep them full and bushy instead of tall and stalky. So far so good.

Across the road there's a huge pile of composted hay and shavings with chicken and goat manure mixed in. It's broken down nicely so I brought some over and top dressed the blueberry bushes with it. I'm guessing it's not too acidic and I can mix it in to the garden beds this Fall, but I want to wait and test it to make sure.