TTL News Bot

Local News Bites

This will be another open style forum for any news that is newsworthy enough to mention but not enough to warrant its own separate topic. 

According to a report by WETM news, recent cleaning of trash from a homeless encampment under the southern end of Clemens Center Parkway cost the city around $6,000.

WETM has provided scans of the requested documents HERE

We drove by there when they were doing this. They had a couple dump trucks backed down in there and I've no doubt they managed to fill them. 

In other, happier news, the facade at Lib's has been getting a facelift and it's looking really nice!

everyone is online posting about oh the poor people and yeah, it sucks , but there's resources for this in the area, a lot of them don't like to follow rules and choose this way of life instead it's hard to feel sorry for someone who turns into a public nuisance

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elmira Telegram said:

According to a report by WETM news, recent cleaning of trash from a homeless encampment under the southern end of Clemens Center Parkway cost the city around $6,000.

WETM has provided scans of the requested documents HERE

These areas under the bridges need to be completely blocked to prevent living in these spaces.    Fencing or fill the area with large chunks  of rocks or concrete that can’t be moved.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod said:

everyone is online posting about oh the poor people and yeah, it sucks , but there's resources for this in the area, a lot of them don't like to follow rules and choose this way of life instead it's hard to feel sorry for someone who turns into a public nuisance

I agree.  Wailing and moaning how we all should be providing them a place to live and food ...  I think for most of them it's a choice.  Not all but most.  They have been kicked out, fed and given options and generally end up right back there again.

• Like 1

Four people are running for a seat on the Elmira City School Board this year. From the district website:

Three (3) seats on the Board of Education are to be filled at the Annual Budget Vote and School Board Election to be held on May 16, 2023. The three (3) candidates receiving the highest number of votes will be elected to three-year terms. Four candidates are running for three available seats; Christopher Denton, Kellie A. Lowman, Michael Thomas, Sara J. Lattin.

Please find information below on the four candidates running for three seats. Per election requirements, candidates are listed in the order based on drawing for ballot position. 

The below information has been provided by each candidate:

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 9.52.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 9.53.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 9.54.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 9.53.47 AM.png

Denton is really out there working for it. He stopped here not once but twice. Fact is, he's the only school board candidate to ever do so!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Denton is really out there working for it. He stopped here not once but twice. Fact is, he's the only school board candidate to ever do so!

Perhaps bigger aspirations?

I had to check because I thought Sara Lattin was already on it and I see she is seeking re-election.  I think she heads the CC GOP now in place of Rodney as well.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, Chris said:

In other, happier news, the facade at Lib's has been getting a facelift and it's looking really nice!

These photos are from ChemungHistory.com's Facebook page:

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.33.51 AM.png

• Like 1

It was announced this afternoon that Holy Family Catholic School will close at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. 

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Chris said:

It was announced this afternoon that Holy Family Catholic School will close at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. 

Now , that is a shame they always had so much going on for students, parents and grandparents. 

• Like 2

There really are not many parochial schools left in the area.  I'm surprised it closed.  I'm not certain where exactly it is but I assume in Elmira.  St Mary our Mother in Horseheads remains open and I am aware of a number of Elmira kids that go there.

There used to be a parochial school in every neighborhood.  

Edited by KarenK

For those that havent heard, Brand Park Pool is slated to be torn down sometime this year. 

On 6/10/2023 at 8:03 AM, KarenK said:

There really are not many parochial schools left in the area.  I'm surprised it closed.  I'm not certain where exactly it is but I assume in Elmira.  St Mary our Mother in Horseheads remains open and I am aware of a number of Elmira kids that go there.

True.  I went to Sts. Peter and Paul School through 8th grade.  In my opinion the Nuns were the best teachers.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:03 AM, KarenK said:

When I went to St. Casimer I believe Our Lady of Lourdes school was still open in West Elmira and I seem to remember at least one more parochial school but I can't recall for sure. ( St Cecilias maybe? ) Of course St Patricks was still open as the junior high. 

1 hour ago, Ann said:

True.  I went to Sts. Peter and Paul School through 8th grade.  In my opinion the Nuns were the best teachers.

I don't know if they were the best but they certainly were the scariest teachers I had.  

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I don't know if they were the best but they certainly were the scariest teachers I had.  

No nonsense, expected nothing but your best, taught respect, and they had rulers and weren’t afraid to use them 😂

• Haha 1

I saw on Facebook that former local radio personality Doug Guyer passed away. 

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, KarenK said:

I agree.  Wailing and moaning how we all should be providing them a place to live and food ...  I think for most of them it's a choice.  Not all but most.  They have been kicked out, fed and given options and generally end up right back there again.

Really? You think that people choose to be homeless?  In a city where more than a third of people live in poverty.

14 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Really? You think that people choose to be homeless?  In a city where more than a third of people live in poverty.

It's about one quarter....not "more than a third" living in poverty (US Census data)

And incidentally, she did qualify her point with "not all"......

Unfortunately, the City has continuously encountered many (see HERE) who refuse to stay in shelters where activity is monitored and illicit behavior is not acceptable. 

The City of Elmira recently cleaned up the homeless encampment under the Clemens Center Bridge, however many people who were living there returned a short time later.

Officials offered help to the people living there but say the overwhelming majority of homeless people refused help. With winter around the corner, the city and its homeless are in a tough spot.

So, in the sense that many insist on staying in homeless encampments over supervised living arrangements (where they would be encumbered by "house rules" prohibiting drugs, weapons, etc).....they are "choosing" that environment. 

It can, of course, be debated that circumstances like addiction or mental illness which are factors in homelessness aren't a "choice", but surely no reasonable person would suggest that shelters should allow unacceptable behaviors associated with those circumstances to take place on their premises. 

The liability could be devastating if (when) someone is harmed. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2

This thread is getting bogged down, by something that was news back in May so Title 42 and related comments has been moved to a thread of its own.