Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

Growing A Greener World: "Mason Bee Revolution"

This was a really cool episode and I learned a lot!

We have a couple houses up, I think I'll be building a couple more to disperse throughout the property. 

• Like 1

Guess I need to get busy making up some boxes ! I miss having honey bee’s and Mason bee’s being native pollinators may be just the ticket . Gets rid of some residual project lumber as well . 

• Like 2

We’ve got some new tenants:

IMG_4818.jpeg

I’ve seen some pollen in a couple others so there’s more to come looks like.

I found a bluebird box I bought a couple years ago and took the front off. It’s about 4 1/2” deep, not much less than the above house. I’m gonna try to roll up some paper tubes using a brown grocery bag. It seems sturdier and to me more aesthetically pleasing. 

• Like 1

As much as I am a fan of Joe Lamp’l ( which seems like a weird thing to say when I think of it ) he can stick that whole “make your own tubes” where the sun don’t shine.

My loving wife and I tore into a grocery bag, and got about this far:

IMG_4826.jpeg

Before even I thought, “This is for the birds,” and quit. I ordered the little tubes from Amazon here.

Lol , I started making the block type … yeah the proper long shank drill bit is going to cost as much as the tubes on Amazon ! But due to my masochistic nature I’ll probably keep plugging away on the blocks 🤣.

I found another old birdhouse so I’ll be making two, and then that’s enough for this year.

14 hours ago, Hal said:

Lol , I started making the block type … yeah the proper long shank drill bit is going to cost as much as the tubes on Amazon !

Just use the drill bit you have. The house we have that they're using is only 4-5" deep. Hell, the one I made last year and gets used is probably not even that deep. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Just use the drill bit you have. The house we have that they're using is only 4-5" deep. Hell, the one I made last year and gets used is probably not even that deep. 

Think I’ll do just that since I have three blocks drilled already . I had the perfect bit but lent it to the furnace contractors assistant to run thermostat wire and haven’t seen it since 🤷‍♂️
I also “Fred Sanford Scored” some Red Cedar project wood from a neighbor tearing apart a play tower slide LOL. Will make some nice hive houses . 

Turns out 125 reed tubes isn’t a whole lot. Didn’t even fill one box, so I improvised and added natural materials:

IMG_4846.jpeg

Im gonna hit Hobby Lobby and see if they have something similar, perhaps made of cardboard and cheaper. 

• Like 1

The new, smaller diameter reeds are getting filled up which I'm glad to see. I plan on checking around for paper straws in large quantities since they'd be about the same size. And hopefully a hell of a lot cheaper. 

Yesterday I picked up some paper straws to try in the second bee house. I'd like to think they're a cheaper alternative to buying reeds, but I don't think the diameter is wide enough. Oh well, some other bug can use them if the mason bees won't. 

( Although truth, at 3.99 for 50 straws, I don't know if they're really a cheaper alternative. )