TTL News Bot

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

Wow. 

This guy claimed to live in Veteran so he could run for Chemung County 1st Legislative District last year. Sadly, he's apparently free to run in any race with the dem primary being unchallenged.

He made no attempt to introduce any platform and had a blank FB page with no posts. And made a few public comments about redistricting at a Legislative meeting that clearly showed he'd not done any research or followed the topic.  

This guy needs a hobby besides changing his postal address to qualify for bogus political campaigns. 

• Like 1

Promoting one's nickname or whatever instead of legal name is probably not the best idea when running for political office.

• Like 1

moved here in february and now running for mayor right

443880616_ScreenShot2023-04-24at12_28_59PM.png.7d47e714a3b44bfb3c46100388af17cd.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rod said:

Yeah....looks like Mandell is the only established Elmira resident running so far. 

21 hours ago, Rod said:

I don't have a problem with someone moving to the area and later deciding they want to get involved. Hell, if we've learned anything, it's that the entrenched politicians whose families have been running the show for decades are more a detriment than anything. 

That said, someone who has been here less than six months can hardly navigate their way around the city let alone navigate the issues that face the office. Granted, the office of mayor is more ceremonial than anything ( and I think wholly unnecessary ) but still.

And as with other races in the county the past couple years, it behooves the candidate to hone in on what the office they're running for can actually influence. Bringing up stuff like 2A and "freedom" make for good sound bites, but offer little to no substance. 

I saw this posted today, although it looks like the website's not live yet:

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 9.24.22 AM.png

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

although it looks like the website's not live yet

I get an error saying the certificate is expired. 

The "forcc1" leads me to believe he had that domain when he ran for legislature claiming to live in the first district. I'm not sure he ever had any content when running for that office either. His FB candidate page was empty......not a single post.

If someone doesn't even think it's worth trying to reach voters during a campaign, it speaks very poorly of how they'd represent once in office. 

Pathetic. And frankly, not having any webpage or social media is arguably better than presenting them with zero effort to share information with the public.  

Edited by MsKreed

Where does this guy actually live now?  Legally I mean?

Legally.....I guess Elmira now. 

Although I thought someone had said they only have to become a legal residence in the location IF/WHEN they take office. Not sure if that's accurate, but seems illogical and crazy enough to be true -- LOL

I think he lived in Elmira and has property in Veteran that he claimed as his residence last year. I know for a fact that he was not on the 1st district voter rolls before petitions started in February last year, but suddenly "qualified" for the Dem line by the time petitions were filed in April. 

image.png.82586a7e73e815811009d8fe6103d7d3.png

Edited by MsKreed
  • Haha 1

The Libertarian candidate has announced she has withdrawn from the race ( resized as best I could 😞

1.png

I can't read it but did pick up parts.  Looks like the state party did not support her in any way

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

I can't read it but did pick up parts.  Looks like the state party did not support her in any way

She basically said she ran to show how much of a joke local politics and politicians are. She also said she is an anarchist and the state party didn't like that. 

TBH She sounds like a nut job. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

She basically said she ran to show how much of a joke local politics and politicians are. She also said she is an anarchist and the state party didn't like that. 

Agreed, running a farce campaign to mock the system, while calling yourself Libertarian is a disservice to the Libertarian Party.....particularly when they are fighting to be recognized again in NYS, after the State Board of Elections raised the threshold for automatic ballot access (from 50,000 votes to 130,000 votes) in 2020.

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Complete nut job

on one hand i say. he at least threw her hat in the ring.

on the other hand, her actions have done more damage to encouraging more than the two party charade we are currently stuck with. she has fed the stereotype of the "the rent is too damn high", ross perot etc. hard to take any "party" seriously when such characters ala extreme come crawling out of the woodwork

23 minutes ago, Adam said:

on one hand i say. he at least threw her hat in the ring.

on the other hand, her actions have done more damage to encouraging more than the two party charade we are currently stuck with. she has fed the stereotype of the "the rent is too damn high", ross perot etc. hard to take any "party" seriously when such characters ala extreme come crawling out of the woodwork

Quoted for truth. 

22 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Agreed, running a farce campaign to mock the system, while calling yourself Libertarian is a disservice to the Libertarian Party.....particularly when they are fighting to be recognized again in NYS, after the State Board of Elections raised the threshold for automatic ballot access (from 50,000 votes to 130,000 votes) in 2020.

Prince Andrew did that to get rid of another party that didn't endorse him, but his primary challenger. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Prince Andrew did that to get rid of another party that didn't endorse him, but his primary challenger. 

Yeah, both parties have been steadily losing support as their “bases” (aka fanatics) push the extremes.

This trend threatens their stronghold on power and it scares them:

image.png.edbcd9e1636665c57a97d61587d58383.png

FUAC and his Albany majority took the opportunity to squash the moderate middle voters who now outnumber the “major parties”.....and Heaven forbid they recognize that the problem is that they keep catering to the loony-toons extremes and just go back to being moderate as a party. 🙄

The candidates, Incumbent Mayor, Republican, Daniel Mandell, and his Democratic Party challenger, Jim Hassell have agreed to participate in a live, televised debate on May 24th. The debate will also be streamed live on MyTwinTiers.com. 18 News Anchor, Jackie Gillis will moderate the debate, which will be held at the WETM studio.

You can watch the debate live on WETM 18 News tonight starting at 7 PM, or stream it live in this story in the viewer above.

Viewers and digital users will be able to submit questions for the candidate on the 18 News Facebook page or by texting 607-606-6049. 18 News Reporter Nick Dubina will handle viewer questions. However, only questions pertaining to policy matters and legitimate campaign issues will be accepted.

Read More HERE

Did anyone watch this?  I was on Taco/Orientation duty at the Lodge and didn't get home until after 9

Was it “ jitters “ or was Mr Hassell just plain unprepared … not that any of the questions were Earthshaking  nor were the ensuing answers riveting. 
What ?! Was I expecting too much ? 😂

Edited by Hal

7 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Did anyone watch this?  I was on Taco/Orientation duty at the Lodge and didn't get home until after 9

😂, You were better off making Tacos Karen ! No …really , the Tacos had more substance .