TTL News

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

Thanks Chris, I feel fine, just very concerned about the future of Elmira. The results do not bode well.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JimHassell4Mayor said:

Thanks Chris, I feel fine, just very concerned about the future of Elmira. The results do not bode well.

I know the feeling all too well this morning, just about a different community.

Well, don't be a stranger. Stop by here at the forums now and then. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LocalSportsGuy said:

This race was a lot tighter then I possibly could ever imagine. 

In Australia, if you do not vote, you are fined $200, or thereabouts.  There is the option to spoil your ballot which is a vote for none of the above. We could do with the same policy here. In very rough terms, the 13,000 registered voters in Elmira are divided into 5000 Dems, 4000 unaffiliated and 3500 Republicans.

How different our world would be if everyone voted.

Edited by Elizabeth Whitehouse

That’s absolutely ridiculous. Along with the freedom to be able to vote comes the freedom of not voting should one not want to. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

In Australia, if you do not vote, you are fined $200, or thereabouts.  There is the option to spoil your allot which is a vote for none of the above. We could do with the same policy here. In very rough terms, the 13,000 registered voters in Elmira are divided into 5000 Dems, 4000 unaffiliated and 3500 Republicans.

No doubt it would be different, but that's what makes America great. We have choice.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

that goes both ways, there are many people out there that really should NOT vote. you might be able to compel votes, but you cannot compel them to be be informed

3 hours ago, Adam said:

that goes both ways, there are many people out there that really should NOT vote. you might be able to compel votes, but you cannot compel them to be be informed

There sure are. But I don't know how you prevent them from voting and maintain a semblance of democracy

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

No doubt it would be different, but that's what makes America great. We have choice.

We can argue at length about whether America is great. We can also discuss whether apathy is an admirable quality.

But we won’t, at least not here in this topic.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous. Along with the freedom to be able to vote comes the freedom of not voting should one not want to. 

I'd rather live in Australia than the United States!

1 minute ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I'd rather live in Australia than the United States!

Then move.

We’re done here.