Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Pop Culture Junk Drawer

LOL I just remembered this quote from her book, Wishful Drinking: 

“I heard someone say once that many of us only seem able to find heaven by backing away from hell. And while the place that I've arrived at in my life may not precisely be everyone's idea of heavenly, I could swear sometimes - if I'm quiet enough - I can hear the angels sing.

Either that or I've screwed up my medication.”

She was nuts, and didn’t hide it. Hell, she completely embraced it. 

• Like 1

Jury Find Ed Sheeran Didn't Copy Marvin Gaye Classic

I just listened to the song and I'll tell ya, other than the same temp, I'm not hearing any hint of plagiarism. Fact is, I don't know how this even saw the inside of a courtroom let alone have a jury take 2 hours to deliberate. I guess Ben Crump will have to find some other chum to pad his wallet more. 

I especially liked Sheeran's comment that he's not a piggy bank for others to shake money out of. 

I don't remember what it was that made me think of it, but this trailer scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. We lived in Elmira still, and had cable:

There was another ad or something I think it was for "The Wall" with the weird animation that I vaguely recall being disturbing, but I haven't found that clip yet. 

There was some weird shit on TV back then. 

Maybe this is it, it's kinda fuzzy in my head:

Martha Stewart is the oldest person to ever cover a 'Sports Illustrated' swim issue

Lifestyle magnate Martha Stewart is making history, as she becomes the oldest person to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's yearly swimsuit issue, at 81.

The magazine described Stewart as "the very definition of 'influencer,'" due to her plethora of shows, books, product lines and social media followers.

More Here

I remember them all, and fondly I might add. This reminds me of an idea I had for another topic, though not sure it’ll work.

7 minutes ago, Hal said:

Amazingly I almost did as well … except one , the clock . 

From Sesame Street:

I guess because I never really could sit through Sesame Street , except for the Muppets, that would explain it . 

Edited by Hal

9 minutes ago, Hal said:

I guess because I never really could sit through Sesame Street , except for the Muppets, that would explain it . 

Well for some of us, it was the closest thing we had to cartoons on the other six days of the week. And even then, only when we were at Monkey Run Rd where WSKG came in!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

And even then, only when we were at Monkey Run Rd where WSKG came in!

Yep … it snowed year ‘round here at home … well, at least on television 😆.

I had no idea Harrison Ford showed up in the Indiana Jones TV series:

Airing March 13, 1993, the episode "Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues" finds Ford (as Indy) hiding out in a snow-covered Wyoming cabin. He stumbles upon an old saxophone, which leads him to reminisce about his adventures in Prohibition-era Chicago.

Read More: Revisiting Harrison Ford's Forgotten 'Indiana Jones' TV Episode | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-tv-episode/?fbclid=IwAR25Y6oGU3e6-et0NmxaGQcpgYT8Xih-hoVFNeGXSbJkgJBQ-iQZmavWEDg&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Rumor has it Spider-Man was spotted at the mall:

IMG_4909.jpeg

😄

You wanna talk about a rabbit hole, Reddit be thy name. Here's an interesting conversation about lost media: CLICK HERE

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.42.15 AM.png

I never thought of this until I saw this on Reddit today. And it's true, whatever species E.T. was is Star Wars canon, as they appeared in one of the prequels:

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.47.08 AM.png

And I was today years old when I learned his species has a name. They are called Asogians.  

Abby sent this to me last night:

During the filming of the beloved classic "Wizard of Oz" in late 1938, the MGM production staff was looking for a coat for actor Frank Morgan to wear in his role as charlatan Professor Marvel. Mr. Morgan also played the Wizard and various small roles in the film. The film's publicist explained the kind of coat they were looking for: "They wanted grandeur gone to seed. A nice-looking coat but very tattered."

According to the publicist: ". . . the wardrobe department went down to an old second-hand store on Main Street and bought a whole rack of coats. And Frank Morgan and the wardrobe man and Victor Fleming [the director] got together and chose one. It was kind of a Prince Albert coat. It was black broadcloth and it had a velvet collar, but the nap was all worn off the velvet."

The coat fit Morgan perfectly. It had exactly the right look of shabby gentility, so they used it in the film.

One hot afternoon during filming, Frank Morgan happened to turn out the pocket. Inside was a name that caused Morgan to do a double take -- the name was "L. Frank Baum." Mr. Baum, of course, was the creator of "The Wizard of Oz." Back in 1900, he wrote the book that the film was based on, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz."

The folks at MGM knew this was an astounding find. They figured out the identity of the tailor in Chicago and sent him pictures of the coat. The tailor sent back a notarized letter saying that the coat had been made for Mr. Baum. And then Mr. Baum's widow identified the coat, too.

MGM was convinced, but others thought the story was a publicity stunt. It sounds almost too good to be true--but what a great story.

Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 7.42.57 AM.png

• Like 1

This video of Dave Mathews going off on a couple meatheads fighting at their Camden NJ show is making the rounds:

Man, if you piss off Dave, you just effed up.

The infamous but equally popular diner owner from Star Wars: Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones is getting his own short story.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.09.23 AM.png

Dexter Jettster, the chef at the somehow 1950s American diner featured in Attack of the Clones, will be the centre of a story featured in an upcoming Star Wars anthology. From a Certain Point of View: Return of the Jedi features 40 stories from 40 writers to celebrate the final Original Trilogy film's 40th anniversary.

In a tweet from the official Star Wars Books Twitter account (below), the 37th of these stories is called The Veteran and seemingly sees Dexter reflect on his encounters with Obi-Wan Kenobi and how he played a part in starting The Clone Wars.

Source

I look forward to reading this, but man I hope they do a better job than they did for the "Empire" version.

Today I learned that the scene in Good Will Hunting ( and if you haven’t seen it you should ) where Robin Williams talks about his wife farting in her sleep is complete improv. If you watch, you see the camera shaking because the cameraman is laughing. Matt Damon’s laughter is completely real.

Apparently they kept the scene going and it got to where staff on the set had to run because they could hold in their laughter and didn’t want to ruin the take. But those jokes got cut.

• Haha 1