Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

James Webb Space Telescope News

From Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

FDE2FAA7-2F3F-4072-AD38-937422C695A1.jpeg

Times like this makes me wish Tony was around. Both to give me crap about NGT as well as to share the moment. 

So cool, even if you're not a science or space nerd looking at other galaxies and back in time is awesome. 

And no thunder stolen, I appreciate someone else appreciating the wonder of the JWST.

I’ll confess man, I got a little teary eyed seeing it. It’s both amazing and beautiful. What a time to be alive.

• Like 1

Here is the difference between Hubble and the JWST. This is the same section of space. It is a spot the size of a grain of rice held at arms length. 

Screenshot_20220712-070300.png

• Like 2

I'm watching the livestream now, and they said we've been able to see 13.1 billion years back in time to less than a billion years after the big bang. And it was done "during breakfast", whereas it took Hubble two weeks to get the images it did. 

That. Is. NUTS!

• Like 1

Stephan's Quintent:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.09.01 AM.png

The two at the 4 o'clock area are merging. Also, they showed this view:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.11.30 AM.png

And they said that the really bright spot up there between the 12 and 1 o'clock position is evidence of a black hole. Something about the gravitational pull and density of what light we can see being pulled into it. 

A new view of the Carina Nebula and the birth of new stars:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.22.53 AM.png

• Like 1

I think we're going to have a slew of new images on a regular basis as the scientists play with their new toy. Which is fine by me!

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about a planet they wanted to focus on. I think they said they'd have the telescope pointed at it a couple days. Imagine finding something remotely habitable!

• Like 1

Seeing this new pic has me wondering: Is the universe mostly dark matter with galaxies, and the majority of stars selling within the individual galaxies?  I can see what appears to be a star at the 2 o’clock position just outside the cartwheel galaxy there, but the rest I have to assume are other galaxies.

I'm sorry, I know a lot of people were not amused, but I thought THIS was funny!

A physicist excited Twitter fans this week with a stunning new photo from the James Webb Space Telescope, then surprised everyone by admitting it was just a slice of tasty chorizo.

The scientist Étienne Klein, director of France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, shared the purported James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) photo on July 31. The photo shows a round reddish-orange object on a black background that appears to be a view of a star. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any word on that planet they were supposed to have been examining a few weeks back?