Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Holidays In The Twin Tiers: What Does It Mean To You?

Every person, every family, every culture, has their own holiday traditions. 

The Twin Tiers is no different. From Thanksgiving to New Years Day, there's a never ending list of things to do and ways to celebrate the holidays. And with that comes traditions and memories unique to the Twin Tiers. The Arctic League is arguably the best example. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 10.58.49 AM.png

So, when you think of the holiday season in our region, what comes to mind? What do you look forward to doing or seeing? What's your favorite event to attend? What memories come rushing back as you sip a hot toddy and reminisce about growing up here in the area? 

I have always loved the Town of Southport holiday village as well as the poinsettias on Chemung Canal Bank and the wreatch at hilltop. They always make me smile. 

• Like 2

Something I hadn't thought about until I saw it today is the "Traveling Nativity" in West Elmira. 

It was begun in 2008 by the Schmidt family who live on West Water St. Right now in their yard you'll see a life size wooden cut out of a shepherd and a sheep. But if you drive down Water Street a ways, you'll see Joseph with Mary on a donkey. ( As of this afternoon they were on the corner of Gould Street ). Slowly the two will be moved up the street from house to house until they reach the Schmidt home on Christmas Day. A group of angels also join them in the yard. 

Then, the Three Wise Men begin a journey of their own up the street, arriving on January 6th, which is celebrated as The Epiphany, or "Little Christmas" when the Magi are believed to have arrived. 

I drive down West Water street daily and it's a lot of fun to see the progression each day. 

J.D. Iles does a quick mention of it in this video around the 1:53 mark:

• Like 2

I knew about the Schmidt nativity, but never realized it was traveling. 

Arctic League is what I think of when I think of Holidays in this area. I remember watching the telethon on TV when I was younger and I delivered for over 20 years. I have taken most of my kids to deliver and that 1 that didn't deliver has been to the warehouse to help pack. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

I recall going to a packing night one time, and it was chaotic yet completely under control. I recall someone, Sheldon Herman maybe (I think?) yelling out instructions which you can imagine didn't set well with an adolescent. But I also recall him being kind and thanking everyone at the end of the evening.