TTL News

Newspapers Drop "Dilbert" After Creator Scott Adams' Racist Remarks

Dilbert comic strip creator Scott Adams experienced possibly the biggest repercussion of his recent comments about race when distributor Andrews McMeel Universal announced Sunday it would no longer work with the cartoonist.

Andrews McMeel Chairman Hugh Andrews and CEO and President Andy Sareyan said in a joint statement that the syndication company was “severing our relationship” with Adams.

In the Feb. 22 episode of his YouTube show, Adams described people who are Black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.” Various media publishers across the U.S. denounced the comments as racist, hateful and discriminatory while saying they would no longer provide a platform for his work.

Andrews and Sareyan said Andrews McMeel supports free speech, but the comments by the cartoonist were not compatible with the core values of the company based in Kansas City, Missouri.

Read the rest here.

The backlash against Adams arose following comments on “Real Coffee with Scott Adams.” Among other topics, Adams used the YouTube show to reference a Rasmussen Reports survey that had asked whether people agreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white.”

Most agreed, but Adams noted that 26% of Black respondents disagreed and others weren’t sure.

I’m not defending whatever Adams said (I haven’t even watched the unscripted YouTube where the remarks were made).

But I have to take a little issue with the way AP downplayed the poll results that he was referring to.

"Most agreed, but Adams noted that 26% of Black respondents disagreed and others weren’t sure."

While “accurate”......that characterization omits the numbers he was trying to make a point about.... That he was bothered by the fact that nearly half of Black Americans didn’t agree that “It’s okay to be white”:

image.png.cdacd671e5c792bcc76b3a4607083f76.png

Does a combined 47% not agreeing (26% disagreement and 21%) constitute an entire race being a “hate group”.....I don’t think so.  

To me....the overall results are concerning. Only 70% of the population agree that it's okay to have a certain skin tone?  If it’s not “okay” then what exactly would be the “solution” for those respondents?

Why is anyone asking these ridiculous questions to begin with?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why is anyone asking these ridiculous questions to begin with?

My thoughts exactly......they inevitably lead to friction and divisiveness.   

• Like 1

Then when someone falls into the trap of reacting to the polarizing BS, then they get to Dilbert, Harry Potter, etc.....

image.png.65ffca12b69a7471b46ca0e32d706f2d.png

2 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Then when someone falls into the trap of reacting to the polarizing BS, then they get to Dilbert, Harry Potter, etc.....

image.png.65ffca12b69a7471b46ca0e32d706f2d.png

I had a whole tirade on this topic but then you posted this MsKreed . Thank you , that about sums up what i had typed but lost when i went to see your post 😂

On 2/27/2023 at 11:57 AM, MsKreed said:

and if "We" are taking out anger on them, we are not paying attention to the real problems.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, MsKreed said:

I’m not defending whatever Adams said (I haven’t even watched the unscripted YouTube where the remarks were made).

didnt watch it either, i would like to think those he is speaking of, are the % that indicated it isnt ok to be white. i would have to agree that those in that percentage, would in fact be guilty of racism and by extension a hate group.

i couldnt help myself when i saw this on NPR's facebook. i read the story and then of course some of the comments. its confounding how many of those folks cannot see the hypocrisy in condemning him while not calling out those that say its not ok to be white! and of course if you question it; out comes the cavalcade of snark, the pseudo-intellectuals and the out-right self loathing bleeding hearts that scream RACIST at anything that disputes their POV.

the guy could be a complete piece of shit, i dont know, but in this aspect, hes not wrong

During the Feb. 22 episode of his YouTube podcast “Real Coffee with Scott Adams,” he referenced a Rasmussen Reports survey that had asked whether people agreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white.” Most agreed, but Adams noted that 26% of Black respondents disagreed and others weren’t sure.

The Anti-Defamation League said the phrase at the center of the question was popularized as a trolling campaign by members of 4chan — a notorious anonymous message board — and was adopted by some white supremacists. Rasmussen Reports is a conservative polling firm that has used its Twitter account to endorse false and misleading claims about COVID-19 vaccines, elections and the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Source

8 minutes ago, Elmira Telegram said:

The Anti-Defamation League said the phrase at the center of the question was popularized as a trolling campaign by members of 4chan — a notorious anonymous message board — and was adopted by some white supremacists.

I don't know how much stock we can put in 4chan for God's sake. Talk about a complete cesspool, and the more pearl clutching, the more they latch on to it for the fun of getting people riled up. 

That said, at what point do we stop banning or labeling things "dog whistles" because of a small percentage of trolls on the internet?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris said:

That said, at what point do we stop banning or labeling things "dog whistles" because of a small percentage of trolls on the internet?

on npr site( i know cannot help myself sometimes), the dog whistle tune is sung VERY often, and as much as i tried to confine the "discussion" to the statement regarding the 26% not ok with being white and why THAT view was not considered equally, if not more, racist than Dilbert-dudes statement....all i got was snark and accusations of unintelligence or dog-whistling myself

13 hours ago, Adam said:

all i got was snark and accusations of unintelligence or dog-whistling myself

Which is why I don't engage in the first place. Well that and I really couldn't care less what the new taboo of the week is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris said:

Which is why I don't engage in the first place.

touch a flame now and then to remind it burns i guess

that and internet is forever so SOME sanity on record is nice