TTL News Bot

Twin Tiers "Rants And Raves"

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I strongly doubt that much, or any, forethought went into it. 

actually, i remember hearing about our reading about that very thing. when the city changed the traffic on water street it WAS to create the appearance of higher volumes of traffic in order to attract business and other investments

wish i could rmember the source

Perhaps on Water. I’m talking Clemens Center Parkway. There’s no advantage to having people backed up in a turning lane.

And even if it IS by design, it’s stupid and inefficient. 

I fully realize I may be alone in this complaint, but please for the love of God, can the local TV people STOP their complaining about us going into winter?

At the end of last night's broadcast they were recapping the weather, which is that lovely rain currently coming down out there. And one of them said that it's better than snow. They'd rather it rain than snow. 

Then move to Florida.

Believe it or not, some of us who live here, live here because we kinda like the changing seasons. That includes a little snow around the holidays. You know why? Because there's no songs about dashing through the mud. Bing didn't dream about a brown Christmas. It's depressing and dingy enough around here, some of us would like to see a little white to brighten things up. 

Seriously, STFU about it. 

• Like 2

I wish the local TV people would learn how to pronounce words properly.  It’s not just once in a while but almost nightly.  Who knew “contribution” was a difficult word to enunciate.  Read what’s going to come across the teleprompter before you go on air and if the word has more than two syllables…practice.   

3 hours ago, Chris said:

I fully realize I may be alone in this complaint, but please for the love of God, can the local TV people STOP their complaining about us going into winter?

At the end of last night's broadcast they were recapping the weather, which is that lovely rain currently coming down out there. And one of them said that it's better than snow. They'd rather it rain than snow. 

Then move to Florida.

Believe it or not, some of us who live here, live here because we kinda like the changing seasons. That includes a little snow around the holidays. You know why? Because there's no songs about dashing through the mud. Bing didn't dream about a brown Christmas. It's depressing and dingy enough around here, some of us would like to see a little white to brighten things up. 

You know me.  If it's got to be cold, might as well snow.  

Wait until they have to go out and report something in this wet, cold drizzle for an hour. They may change their minds about the snow.  

46 minutes ago, Ann said:

I wish the local TV people would learn how to pronounce words properly.  It’s not just once in a while but almost nightly.  Who knew “contribution” was a difficult word to enunciate.  Read what’s going to come across the teleprompter before you go on air and if the word has more than two syllables…practice.   

Totally agree.  Particularly the names of the towns you are reporting about.  I have never heard so many mispronunciations of Steuben or Chemung in my life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

Totally agree.  Particularly the names of the towns you are reporting about.  I have never heard so many mispronunciations of Steuben or Chemung in my life.

Obviously there is no one using Hooked on Phonics to teach these folks and FFS get to know the Area ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal said:

and FFS get to know the Area !

Why bother? The minute they arrive they’re putting together their audition tape for a bigger market. 

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Then move to Florida.

Praise Yaaasss GIF - Praise Yaaasss GIFs

• Haha 2

RANT: When will the city come together and start filling in these empty storefronts? They spend all this money on making the area's looking good with Clemens Square and the new building next to it. Plus the remodeling of the buildings on Lake Street yet no businesses have come to fill the spaces. Why is there no incentive program like if you bring your business here, Elmira will help with rent for the first 6 months or create an advertising program where they will pay for ads that air on WETM, WENY, the radio stations, social media etc. It's ridiculous that they still don't try harder to get businesses here. Heck the location of Clemens Square in between the First Arena and Clemens Center along with the parking garage. They could make that an entertainment district. Get a restaurant and a few shops there. People can come hang out before their event. 

• Like 2

Welcome LocalSportsGuy …
Over the years there have been many small businesses along Water St. but due to Elmira, and the powers that be , things were made difficult for them to stay open . Some were Very popular and brought other foot traffic to that area but in short … Elmira is Not business friendly at all .

Edited by Hal
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hal said:

Over the years there have been many small businesses along Water St. but due to Elmira, and the powers that be , things were made difficult for them to stay open .

A really excellent bakery on Water St. comes to mind. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

A really excellent bakery on Water St. comes to mind. 

That Very one ! 👍

4 hours ago, LocalSportsGuy said:

Heck the location of Clemens Square in between the First Arena and Clemens Center along with the parking garage. They could make that an entertainment district. Get a restaurant and a few shops there. People can come hang out before their event. 

My understanding is that is the plan. Rome wasn't built in a day.

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I'm not disagreeing that it doesn't take time but it feels like we would be at the next stage by now. They already did the so called "work" on the parking garage. Like help recruit businesses and help them. It's ridiculous we are still here in this spot.  At least let the public know 

• Like 1

Yeah some kind of status update wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. I know we’d post it here for sure.

In last night's Elmira Mayoral Debate (Watch HERE), there were a lot of questions about Downtown Development and improvement. 

As the challenging candidate seemed unaware of many issues, I have to say the Incumbent seemed to be more of a handle on things. However, it sounded like the same answer for a lot of questions:  We inherited it 8 years ago, it's improving, and will continue to improve as we apply and receive more Grant Money. 

When asked about the recurring issues of homeless encampment and human waste in the City Garage.....Mayor Mandel assured viewers that this is only a “periodic” problem and feces generally gets cleaned up as soon as they find out about it.

Those traffic lights on Water Street in Elmira for the access roads drive me nuts. 

You come off of I-86 to Water St. to turn left and go up Jerusalem Hill Rd. First off, when the light is green there's enough time to get 2-3 cars through. God help you if there's a semi or a cement truck there. 

Then when you get to the light at the base of Jerusalem Hill, 9/10 times it's a stale yellow and now you have to sit at another light within spitting distance from the one you just sat at. 

It's maddening some days. 

• Like 3

It’s definitely maddening but where the excitement is is coming off Jerusalem hill and merging with drivers just getting the green light. Sometimes they will let you merge , other times it a race to get over into the single lane . Coming off the hill doing 55 and merging when the driver just coming off the light goes from 0 to 50 , I don’t think they know there is someone on their right  . 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:43 PM, KarenK said:

but it was continuously corrupted by the same "Caesars"