TTL News

Twin Tiers Covid News

To date, Tioga Co. Public Health has held over twenty vaccination clinics throughout the county, and administered what they received. When the vaccine first became available, supply was limited, they were receiving one hundred doses weekly, which slowly increased to two hundred doses weekly, which increased to the currently weekly supply of three hundred doses.

According to the NYS Vaccine Dashboard, 31.7% of Tioga Co. residents have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine; while, 24% of residents have completed the series.

“We are confident in the accuracy of the numbers from clinics that we have held,” says Katie Wait, Public Health Educator, “But, where we think there might be a gap is those that sought their vaccine across the border in Pennsylvania. I think this is especially true for residents that live so close to the border like Waverly and Nichols.” The state vaccination rate is 43% and 29.7% for those that have received one dose, and those who have a completed series, respectively.

Tioga Co. Public Health is encouraging those that want to be vaccinated, and have not yet been vaccinated to make an appointment as soon as possible, at a venue of their choosing. Those that are still on the fence of whether they want to be vaccinated are also encouraged to get vaccinated.

“Do the research, get information from experts such as your primary care provider or your pharmacist, and then don’t hesitate to go get vaccinated with whatever vaccine is available,” says Wait. “We know that we are getting into the population that isn’t sure how they feel about the vaccine. The vaccine was developed so fast, we don’t know the long-term effects…those are the things that we’re hearing, but I think we forget that the world was put on pause for several months. While the rest of the world was at a standstill, experts in epidemiology, public health, communicable disease, and other health fields were working to come up with a vaccine that would protect us. Millions of dollars were donated to the research and development of this vaccine, so it was developed in what seems like a short amount of time, but we had the time, resources, personnel, and money to do it because that’s all the focus was on. The vaccine is the best option we have right now to protect ourselves. The quicker we all get vaccinated, the quicker we can return to normal.”

Officials add, "We are still seeing positive cases come through, particularly related to schools and sports. It is important to be vigilant about social distancing, mask wearing (when possible), and good hand hygiene both on and off the field (or court!). This is especially important as we are seeing most of the spread happening with individuals that are presenting without symptoms. Please keep in mind that if you are not feeling well, please stay home and consult with your primary care provider or health department to see if testing is needed."

We've not been big fans of the vaccines, but believe we needed to do this. Yes, we're getting our vaccines "across the border" with Guthrie because with our, especially my husband's multiple co-morbid health conditions, Guthrie's Covid Vaccine Clinic at the former K-Mart has a better situation than what I've seen at a minimally staffed typical pharmacy, or perhaps a health department clinic.  Guthrie's vaccine clinic was fully staffed by all medical personnel with an ambulance parked outside just in case - exactly what we needed. Second vaccine coming up this week for both of us.

Heading down there tomorrow AM Linda . Ann says she will wait a week then get hers . 

19 hours ago, Hal said:

Heading down there tomorrow AM Linda . Ann says she will wait a week then get hers . 

Hope your 2nd one goes well with no side effects Hal!  Our 2nd will be Wed afternoon.  All our best to Ann in getting hers too 🙂

2 hours ago, Linda Roorda said:

Hope your 2nd one goes well with no side effects Hal!  Our 2nd will be Wed afternoon.  All our best to Ann in getting hers too 🙂

Thanks Linda , I rather liked the setup they have and everyone was so friendly ! Ann hasn’t quite made up her mind for sure yet on the when . I get my second on 5/17 so you can tell me about how you and Ed make out after your second shot . I’m sure things will be alright 👍

On 4/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, Chris said:

Hopefully that doesn’t cause a repeat of what happened last Fall.

i truly hope religious freedoms will not be squashed because of the results from a  faulty PCR testing process that is not intended to be a diagnostic tool!  just like they were last fall! 

3 hours ago, Mahatma said:

i truly hope religious freedoms will not be squashed because of the results from a  faulty PCR testing process that is not intended to be a diagnostic tool!  just like they were last fall! 

PCR testing is pretty accurate. Those rapid tests I question.  Either way, 300+ tests wrong is unlikely and since I know personally some of those positives, they were actually sick.

Edited by KarenK
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, KarenK said:

PCR testing is pretty accurate. Those rapid tests I question.  Either way, 300+ tests wrong is unlikely and since I know personally some of those positives, they were actually sick.

sorry but PCR testing not accurate nor is it meant to be a diagnostic tool.  i posted the reasons why on here some time back, but im sure few people read it!  (the only  response i got at the time  was from Chris and he just replied "lot to unpack there")

But the quick version is that any sample that is cycled through more than 20 times will produce false positives.  and when i originally posted it, it was during Trumps admin and the CDC's recommended minimum cycle count was 40 and WHO's was 45.  these recommendations were by design to make positive cases rise (many being asymptomatic cases)  so that they could drive the pandemic.  (masks sell the pandemic and positive cases drive it)....then right on 1-20-21 the Biden admin quietly reduced the cycle count recommendation to 20 so it would appear as if there were less cases.   Also the inventor of the PCR testing method (who just happened to die two months prior to this whole thing) is on record stating that this test was not meant and should not be used a diagnostic tool! 

sorry but i dont care how many people got sick, it doesnt give the government the right to strip us of our religious freedom!   

just think....healthy people are now being conditioned to think they need to be treated for something they dont have.   the pharmaceutical industries wet dream!  

Edited by Mahatma

A lot of people like to talk about the false positive tests that, admittedly, do occur (although I suspect not at the rate people like to proclaim they do). Not a lot of talk about the false negatives happening, especially in the hospitals. 

2 hours ago, Mahatma said:

sorry but i dont care how many people got sick, it doesnt give the government the right to strip us of our religious freedom!   

We’re people dragged out into the streets or somehow otherwise persecuted for their religious beliefs? If so, I missed that.

What allegedly happened was a large group of people snubbed health department recommendations and caused a public health crisis. Now frankly I don’t give a damn if a bunch of people want to get together and drink cyanide laced Kool Aid because “God told them to”. But when they put the general public at risk, there’s a problem. 

just think....healthy people are now being conditioned to think they need to be treated for something they dont have. 

I never had smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, or tetanus either. 

• Like 2

Many times misinformation comes down, not to what people don't know, but to what people do know that just isn't so.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Chris said:

A lot of people like to talk about the false positive tests that, admittedly, do occur (although I suspect not at the rate people like to proclaim they do). Not a lot of talk about the false negatives happening, especially in the hospitals. 

In the US????

We have reported 32 million positive cases and 570k deaths....about double the cases and nearly three times the deaths as India (which is the next highest nation at 4 times our population) 

But we're supposed to be worried that we're under-reporting? That can't be a serious concern. 

Edited by MsKreed

37 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

In the US????

We have reported 32 million positive cases and 570k deaths....about double the cases and nearly three times the deaths as India (which is the next highest nation at 4 times our population) 

But we're supposed to be worried that we're under-reporting? That can't be a serious concern. 

All I can talk about is locally. False negatives have been common. But I don’t use that as “proof” it’s somehow worse than it really is. Unlike those who like to tout the false positives as proof that it’s somehow not that bad.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:59 PM, Hal said:

Thanks Linda , I rather liked the setup they have and everyone was so friendly ! Ann hasn’t quite made up her mind for sure yet on the when . I get my second on 5/17 so you can tell me about how you and Ed make out after your second shot . I’m sure things will be alright 👍

Thanks, and glad to hear your vaccine went well, Hal, and that you liked Guthrie's setup too!  Yes, they were very friendly, helpful, etc.  And I can totally understand Ann's indecision on getting the vaccine. Been there - but subbing in the school system, I can't take a chance on getting covid, spreading it, or giving it to Ed for whom it would be deadly.  We got our 2nd Pfizer shot at Guthrie's K-Mart setup this past Wed, with NO side effects other than a minor sore arm and perhaps some mild diffuse body aches. 

Thanks again Linda for letting me know of the limited side effects of your second dose . I can imagine it eases your worries about Ed contracting covid even if just a little , and yourself as well . 
Stay well ! 

• Like 1

While conducting interviews with positive COVID-19 cases in the county, Tioga County Public Health has found that many have attended work or school while they were symptomatic. If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, including minor symptoms like a runny nose, headache, or sore throat, stay home and contact your health care provider.

When people go to school while symptomatic, it results in other students, teachers, and school staff needing to quarantine. The Public Health Department asks that you do not let your children go to school while they are sick. When parents or children expose others to the virus, they are putting them at risk and cause an inconvenience to many other families in your school district when children need to be excluded from school.

COVID-19 case breakdown in Tioga County from September 8, 2021 – September 14, 2021:

• New Cases: 123
  • Unvaccinated: 59
  • Vaccinated: 43
  • Children Under 12: 14
  • Unknown Vaccination Status: 7
  • Hospitalizations: 3
  • Deaths: 0
  • Current Actives Cases: 143

Vaccination status is self-reported by the positive case or their parent/guardian during the case investigation.

Tioga County Public health says several factors may affect one’s protection against COVID-19 including which vaccine they received, how long it has been since they were vaccinated, and what precautions they are taking to protect themselves from COVID-19. The COVID-19 vaccine offers protection against severe illness, hospitalization, and death.

At this time, if you are exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and you are fully vaccinated, you do not need to quarantine as long as you remain symptom free.

Lisa McCafferty, Public Health Director reminds those with underlying health conditions to “...take care of yourself due to cases we are seeing in our community. Protect yourself by practicing social distancing, wear a mask while in public areas, and get vaccinated if you have not done so yet.”

I’m amazed that reminders to stay home have to be issued.  

In a letter released this afternoon, Chemung County Executive Chris Moss released a memo making the wearing of masks mandatory for all county owned buildings.

See the letter below:

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 4.08.52 PM.png

i certainly support it, i am disappointed though that the trend still seems to be reactive rather than proactive...he should never have reversed decision on previous mandate

• Like 2

Due to the rising number of cases in Chemung County, we’ll start a single thread for updates and discussion as it happens.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

i certainly support it, i am disappointed though that the trend still seems to be reactive rather than proactive...he should never have reversed decision on previous mandate

I believe he made that mandate before they released the guidelines all the county execs decided on.  At that time we were not in any "tier" that would justify it

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the public outcry and threats to not vote for Moss. Like, unless you work there, how much time do you actually spend in a county owned building in the first place?

I'm sure mask mandates are coming for all public places soon, this might be a good time for folks to adjust to that. 

• Like 1

New York reported 34,934 new cases of coronavirus in the week ending Sunday, down 7.9% from the previous week . Then, 37,939 new cases of the virus that causes COVID-19 were reported.

Within New York, the worst weekly outbreaks on a per-person basis were in Chemung County with 477 cases per 100,000 per week; Franklin County with 452; and Steuben County with 432. The Centers for Disease Control says high levels of community transmission begin at 100 cases per 100,000 per week.

Source

Wondering why our numbers so much higher now than last year?  This is serious.  A family member was sent to ER by Ambulance yesterday about 12:30 pm.  She was in the waiting room until about 1:15 am, it was that busy.  Luckily Covid test was negative.

I don’t see what the big deal is about wearing a mask.  If I have to wear 2 or 3 to protect myself and my family I will do that.

• Like 1