TTL News

The Twin Tiers Music Scene

Our region is full of seriously talented musicians, many that have made the experience of living here unique. 

Think about some of them a moment: "Mr. Polka", Joe Cavallaro, Pat Kane and so many more. They've provided the soundtrack to life in the Twin Tiers over the decades. 

So let's take a listen to some of the areas best musicians, past and present. Who would you recommend someone going to see live or listening to?

"Cedar Run" by Tom Hoover, who died in 2017, was introduced to me years ago. It's a great song that I almost forgot about until a while back in Wellsboro our host was playing Tom Hoover's cd (which was absolutely brilliant by the way... what a voice! ) and "Cedar Run" came on. I fell in love with the song all over again. Take a listen to this recording as performed with North Fork Alliance:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Our region is full of seriously talented musicians, many that have made the experience of living here unique. 

Think about some of them a moment: "Mr. Polka", Joe Cavallaro, Pat Kane and so many more. They've provided the soundtrack to life in the Twin Tiers over the decades. 

So let's take a listen to some of the areas best musicians, past and present. Who would you recommend someone going to see live or listening to?

I think of Joe Cavallaro as more of a Dixieland guy. At least every time I saw him.  Bob Melnick had a Polka Magic band  who I always used to go to with my parents.

Different kind of genre for you isnt it ? I do like it though . 

My buddy Brian Hughes did a lot of live stream shows during the early days of the pandemic. Many were done as fundraisers to help unemployed staff at the various places he plays. In addition to a busy solo schedule, Brian is also the frontman for RUST. He's one hell of a nice guy, and we spent many Friday evenings in 2020 watching. Here's a sample:

• Like 1

While they may not play locally ( at least not that I've heard of ) Jeff Plates other band, Alta Reign released their debut cd, "Mother's Day" a while back. Last night @KarenK husband loaned it to me to give a listen and it's really quite good. I'm not a huge metal fan, but I do enjoy it from time to time, especially when writing. "Mother'd Day" kinda harkens back to the days when 80's metal ruled the world. I really liked the first single off the album, "Thin Red Line":

Definitely worth a listen!

I've listened to this even more since the above post. I was told Jeff wrote the music, which explains the rhythmic drive to the music. There's some quirky changes in the arrangement that make you pause and listen a little deeper. 

An excellent album in my opinion. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chris said:

I've listened to this even more since the above post. I was told Jeff wrote the music, which explains the rhythmic drive to the music. There's some quirky changes in the arrangement that make you pause and listen a little deeper. 

An excellent album in my opinion. 

Totally not my kind of music and I have a hard time even appreciating the musical talent with this stuff.  Dave liked it quite a bit though.  Keep in mind Ozzy Osborne is his hero.