TTL News

What Happened To Local Journalism?

Watching the news most nights, especially on the weekends, viewers will notice a trend. A local story, maybe two, followed by a quick preview of the weather forecast, commercial. Then return, state or national news story ( mostly national ), weather, sports, weather wrap up, done. 

Opening a newspaper, there will be perhaps a local story or two, a few reprinted press releases, and then national news from a larger news organization such as USA Today. Comics, a couple obits, and done. Barely enough to line a bird cage with, and across the board various city newspapers are barely distinguishable from the other. 

It's easy enough to blame the internet, particularly social media. But there's still enough going on in the region for some investigative journalism and news stories that aren't entirely time sensitive. It's difficult to distinguish which has driven the model over the past decade, consumer demands or the never ending search for ways to cut increase revenue ( at the cost of community identity, investigation, and quality of news stories). 

Why is there no "Letters To The Editor"? Because social media comments, often some of the most repugnant, drive online presence which drives ad clicks and revenue. 

Why no more "Candidate Profiles" each election cycle? This is perhaps the laziest of cuts, as the candidates themselves do the brunt of the work by providing the content in the form of their responses. 

Why so much national news on the local evening news, especially when the national news, the very same stories sometimes, is coming up right after? 

What happened to journalism? What effect does the lack of it have on the community? Will we ever see a return of in-depth local news reporting in some form or another?

And something that really irks me is when one of the news stations actually does go to the trouble of printing a news story complete with details, interviews etc, the public outcry kills me.   "Why would you print something like that?"  "You should be sued!!"   "No one needs to see or hear or know that!"     Really? That's exactly what the news is for.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

It's difficult to distinguish which has driven the model over the past decade, consumer demands or the never ending search for ways to cut increase revenue ( at the cost of community identity, investigation, and quality of news stories). 

Lack of "imagination", journalistic training and adequate pay for those skills? 

My Journalism professor (20 years ago) emphasized that "all news is local".....meaning that for every one of the state and national stories that's pulled off "the wire" a real reporter can find a local official, business or resident who that story could impact....preferably both pro and con perspectives.

A quick look at some of the state and national stories from some local news agencies in the last day that "could" have included some local perspective:

Toy Hall of Fame finalists (Pick up the phone and talk to a local retailer of collectible toys?)

Senate leaders spar over raising the debt ceiling (surely there is an investment counselor or econ professor at a local college who would take your call)

Simone Biles Congressional testimony on gymnast abuse (no attempt to reach out to local athletes or experts)

Tax filing extension for some NY businesses affected by Hurricane Ida (advice from a CPA or tax attorney?)

Granted....the local TV media relies heavily on unpaid or barely paid interns to provide "coverage", and beyond that the ones getting paid could often earn more at McDs. So verbatim regurgitation of "packaged" news is getting what they pay for. 

7 hours ago, KarenK said:

And something that really irks me is when one of the news stations actually does go to the trouble of printing a news story complete with details, interviews etc, the public outcry kills me.   "Why would you print something like that?"  "You should be sued!!"   "No one needs to see or hear or know that!"     Really? That's exactly what the news is for.  

Well its interesting you say that, because I think more and more they go a little overboard with the details, which, I don't think the public needs to know. While I didn't read it, Abby said that one of the two news stations put the complete indictment of that guy they just charged for torturing and murdering someone on their website. And she expressed her concerns that there was no need to release THAT much information, other than to sensationalize the incident for ratings. I didn't read it, mostly because their websites are so loaded with pop ups and auto play videos I won't look, but it doesn't surprise me. 

But some of the complaints you're referring to, I've seen and it's ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Lack of "imagination", journalistic training and adequate pay for those skills? 

My Journalism professor (20 years ago) emphasized that "all news is local".....meaning that for every one of the state and national stories that's pulled off "the wire" a real reporter can find a local official, business or resident who that story could impact....preferably both pro and con perspectives.

A quick look at some of the state and national stories from some local news agencies in the last day that "could" have included some local perspective:

Toy Hall of Fame finalists (Pick up the phone and talk to a local retailer of collectible toys?)

Senate leaders spar over raising the debt ceiling (surely there is an investment counselor or econ professor at a local college who would take your call)

Simone Biles Congressional testimony on gymnast abuse (no attempt to reach out to local athletes or experts)

Tax filing extension for some NY businesses affected by Hurricane Ida (advice from a CPA or tax attorney?)

Granted....the local TV media relies heavily on unpaid or barely paid interns to provide "coverage", and beyond that the ones getting paid could often earn more at McDs. So verbatim regurgitation of "packaged" news is getting what they pay for. 

You want to run a website?? 😉

Seriously, those would be excellent angles on the stories they throw up on their websites. But it means actual work beyond "copy and paste".

Another example I just read was the "reaction" to Kirsten Gillibrand and dairy farming. They cited local farmers' reactions, but failed to name them. Just, "... a farmer said." 

Well hell, I can do that here from home!! Attribution to actual local farmers is important. The lack of it makes me wonder, who were the farmers? Where are they from, are they actually local? Are they actually farmers? Do they even exist???

And I see now one of them is republishing articles from The Conversation all the sudden ( Hmmmm.... what a coincidence, eh? ). Again, that's something a small time, one horse website can do... and DOES! I'd expect more from a news station with an actual staff. 

Sadly, this is correct. There are no longer any in-depth reporting, they simply scratch the service. The local newspaper is, maybe 4 pages anymore, and most of it is national news. I can’t stand trying to read the reports they put on Facebook. Half the time it looks like it was written in 10 seconds with no real thought or passion for their work. Also, it is sad to see how people talk to one another in the comments section. They tear each other apart in a fierce way. Apparently, everyone in Chemung County is a Doctor, Lawyer, high ranking government official and a 100% know it all lol. Republican or Democrat, rich or poor, it doesn’t cost a penny to be a decent person. Anyway, back on topic, hopefully some day true journalism will return. Would be nice to get back to in-depth reporting that is also, just the story and not slanted towards their own personal views.

Edited by Mike B
  • Like 2

Welcome to the site @Mike B!

30 minutes ago, Mike B said:

Anyway, back on topic, hopefully some day true journalism will return. 

I live for the day social media becomes passé. While I don’t think newspapers will ever make the return some of us would like, at least decent online journalism could make a comeback.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Well hell, I can do that here from home!! Attribution to actual local farmers is important. The lack of it makes me wonder, who were the farmers? Where are they from, are they actually local? Are they actually farmers? Do they even exist???

The highlighted "attribution" point is soo, so so relevant.....that attribution is precisely why any local business person would welcome such calls on stories even tangentially related to their field.  In the same way a collectible toy guy or other "local expert" would welcome the citation...local news media have a wealth of sources like this that they have totally abandoned. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MsKreed said:

The highlighted "attribution" point is soo, so so relevant.....that attribution is precisely why any local business person would welcome such calls on stories even tangentially related to their field.  In the same way a collectible toy guy or other "local expert" would welcome the citation...local news media have a wealth of sources like this that they have totally abandoned. 

Absolutely! And it makes not just that story locally relevant, but the entire paper or broadcast becomes more interesting. Who doesn’t want to see their friends on TV or print? More viewers/ readers, more ad revenue… it’s a win-win!!

What the hell are they teaching in journalism school these days?

There were a slew of events going on all over the region yesterday. But this is what you'd find on a "local" news channels' Facebook page:

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.25.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.26.09 AM.png

You know, stuff that was already posted here days ago. 

Must be since there was no 6 o'clock news there was no need to leave the station. 

Do better. 

Oh my God does anyone use spellcheck nowadays? ( Not that one should need it for simple words. )

4EEB2542-56A0-4F20-AD09-C912A30F1F83.jpeg

• Haha 1

It’s one thing for a one horse website such as this one to rely on websites that produce content to be shared freely. It’s another for a local news channel with a full staff or reporters, cameramen, etc:

A0FF3338-1942-435A-9CA5-FE4FEE2F52B6.jpeg

Which, by the way, we ran here two days ago.

• Like 2

The other night I heard "Church of the Redeemer" pronounced, "red-a-meer". 

Surely there must be time to review the teleprompter and double check words we're not sure of, right?

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Surely there must be time to review the teleprompter and double check words we're not sure of, right?

Its a source of comedic entertainment here to listen for mispronounced words . Now , i’m not the best judge of grammar or punctuation spacing ( as has been pointed out ) but damn … Bogota is Bo go tah not Bah gah ta ! I keep wanting to think its the teleprompter writer but even so the announcer should be quick witted enough to make an auto correct . 
Just once I would like to see the announcer lose their shit and go off on the writers right there in the middle of the segment 👍

2 hours ago, Chris said:

That's pretty much a 4th grade spelling word.

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

That's pretty much a 4th grade spelling word.

It’s not just one individual, I have heard two different teleprompter readers pronounce Bogota, Columbia as “Bo gotta”.  The sad thing is they don’t even realize what they are saying.  

41 minutes ago, Ann said:

It’s not just one individual, I have heard two different teleprompter readers pronounce Bogota, Columbia as “Bo gotta”.  The sad thing is they don’t even realize what they are saying.  

I can't help but wonder if the teleprompter actually has the words broken down phonetically.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I can't help but wonder if the teleprompter actually has the words broken down phonetically.  lol

I was wondering that myself but to do break words down phonetically you still have to know how to pronounce the word 😉

It was over 15 years ago when I did a semester as an intern for local TV news, but I doubt a phonetic breakdown of "Redeemer" would have been on the teleprompter. 

For national out of area stories....there are news packets off the wire that often feature a clip with a reporter (Jane in DC, or Jimmy reporting from the scene in Texas, etc) and an intro for affiliate station anchors to read them in. In those cases from network sources, they only add phonetics for uncommon and foreign words/names:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr (vow·LUH·di·mr) Zelensky said in a statement that Russian missiles killed 300 civilians in the City of Mariupol (meh·ree·OO·paal) yesterday.

Or maybe...

President Biden has promised a million doses of Remdesivir (rem·DEH·suh·veer) will be delivered to ICUs across the nation.

I never saw pronunciation spelled out for English words at an elementary vocabulary level!

A lot of local stories are written by seasonal interns or low paid producers. They rarely add pronunciation except for an occasional proper name that is pronounced really different than spelled....because whoever wrote the piece figures the higher paid anchor ought to have at least their vocabulary level.....LOL

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, KarenK said:

or accused of pushing "The Agenda!"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jack said:

or accused of pushing "The Agenda!"

Yeah, ya gotta love that one. 

Another regional online news feed has been taking a lot of heat lately for sharing police reports with no context on their page. This is perhaps even worse than reporting from scanner calls, where one writes, "______ was reportedly" or similar vague phrasing that makes it obvious it was based on conclusions drawn from scanner traffic. 

It's only a step below copy and pasting press releases. 

More and more I wonder what we can do here to be more relevant and more engaging. I think discussions about local redistricting and local politics are what i'd like to see more of here as we move forward. Because everything else is already available all over social media, and often before there's time to post it on here. 

So message me ideas for topics that you think are worth long form discussion about. Or better yet, start a topic about them yourself! 😃😃