Sign in to follow this  
Hal

Stuffed Italian Bread

1 loaf Italian Bread , medium length , fresh or left from another meal . 

1lb mild Italian sausage or hot if preferred . 

1 med eggplant cubed . Mine were frozen from the garden . 

1 small cam mushrooms or fresh portobello or baby Bella’s . 

1/2 small onion diced . 

Olive oil ( to sauté ) 

Balsamic vinager ( for kick , I used Sicilians lemon  balsamic from Crystal  City ) brings flavors together . 

Brown the sausage with the onions , set aside . Sauté cubed eggplant and mushrooms in olive oil , eggplant will suck up oil so be generous ( I also used Blood Orange olive oil from Chrystal city it and balsamic really add flavor here . Balsamic is to taste . Then add sausage back in , stir to combine . Salt and pepper to taste . Cut the top third from the Bread , dig out the “guts “ crumble this in with sautéed mixture ( will probably need more oil as you mix , kind of a dressing texture , add a little oil as you go ) brush bread bowl with olive oil ( plain ) , spoon in mixture , okay to smush it down a bit or leave it humped up . A little of that shaky cheese in your fridge , you know Parmesan Romano on top of mixture ( not too much ) . Top with American cheese I used four slices , or mozzarella if you like . Little bit more of that shaky cheese on top and a pinch of Italian seasoning to finish . 

Bake 20 Minutes at 375 or until cheese is brown . 

No eggplant , zucchini is fine . Probably good with a tomato diced up . You can use plain olive oil but the oils from Crystal City and Balsamics are great for this and also make a delicious salad dressing emulsion for those eating healthy . 

Wow took me longer to make up this recipe than to actually make it , but that’s it , exactly as I made it ( or made it up off the top of my head ) LOL !

2068532383_ScreenShot2021-09-01at12_55_45PM.png.f979e5f63dda202bab043332210dbb2a.png