Sign in to follow this  
Chris

106.5 FM - "The Pirate"

Anyone else listened to this radio channel yet?

237857006_231925698937029_6383131337578820794_n.png

I've been seeing their ads on TV and thought maybe someone started up a new independent station. Turns out it's an FM transmission of 1410 AM WELM. Which kind of explains the weak signal, although it seems like there'd be a way to boost that on FM. I don't know. 

What I do know is they play quite a variety of music with minimal, if any, DJ's talking. ( Seriously, some of the on air banter on other channels is so forced it's painful. )

Anyway it's worth checking out if you can pull in a good signal. 

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

What I do know is they play quite a variety of music with minimal, if any, DJ's talking. ( Seriously, some of the on air banter on other channels is so forced it's painful. )

Anyway it's worth checking out if you can pull in a good signal. 

Yes!!!

We discovered it a year or so ago (after the local radio group switched up different channels and the genres weren't on the same old channels (and the blab seemed to be cranked up). The hubby said he remembered finding it on AM back in the 90's when he had long commutes.

The signal is pretty sketchy at times, but I did discover that it has a LISTEN LIVE streaming button on their website. That's a good option, depending on where you're listen, if internet is more available than their FM signal.

• Like 1

PS...they do switch over to sports regularly. I never bothered to research what events or specific days/times 

I haven't paid attention to terrestrial radio in years, but recently canceled my Sirius XM account because my truck isn't Sirius enabled and the internet is too spotty for the app when I'm driving. But now I listen to the radio more and taking notice of the changes. 

I can't believe I haven't noticed their ads until recently. Maybe they only started running them, I don't know. 

I wonder how bad the quality would be tuning in on AM.  I doubt as good as a good solid FM signal, but maybe no worse than the weak 106.5 FM that gets staticky or drops.

Consider the options:

1) A really good quality FM stereo signal being wasted on blab or music you don't prefer

2) The Pirate with a sketchy FM signal that doesn't deliver the digital HD quality of (1), but good music with less blab

3) The Pirate with a solid AM signal that might not deliver the digital HD quality of (1), but good music with less blab